Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tous les jours à tous points de vue . . .

Tous les jours à tous points de vue je vais de mieux en mieux. -- Émile Coué


Coué's mantra, "Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better," could be -- in fact, should be -- the catchphrase for Google. It really does seem that each day brings a new announcement about or change to one or more Google products. The Google management listens to and responds to comments from end-users; Google staff uses ingenuity and innovation to put that into practice.


Google has also been very wise in the way that they involve non-employees in the early stages of product development. I know about this from my own experience as a CR-48 Pilot. What an extraordinary program! It's almost a year since that gorgeous Chromebook turned up at my house, and it is still my go-to computer when I leave the house, or even when I move from room to room. I have convinced some family members to "go Chromebook," and I've even got acquaintances to consider buying Chromebooks. My love for the Chromebook is infectious!


And then came the day in June when Google+ was opened for Beta testing. Of course, I was there right away. Since that day, I have met some wonderful people through posts and Hangouts, and I have received help with all kinds of things, from research to coding to . . .  well, lots of things. And I have tried to help people, too. Google+ is already a wonderful community, in my experience. And every day I meet someone new, or I am introduced to someone new, and I learn something new.


I think that the ways that Google has enabled people to share ideas and connect with like-minded people is incredible. I never felt that any other social networking site did this; sure, the other sites were social, but the extra little je ne sais quoi that Google+ has lifts this to a whole new level.


And it makes me feel empowered. I would say to those who worry that Google is taking over the world and reducing people to followers: not a bit of it! The more tools Google gives us to connect, the more we can take those tools and run with them. It's a really exciting time; my only question is, What's Next?

No comments:

Post a Comment